We are a social enterprise and Startup (Innovation-driven Entrepreneurship) ecosystem development organization. We believe in the power of entrepreneurship for development and for the last 6 years have supported founders across South-South/South-East, Nigeria to build scalable ventures. We are inspiring a generation of young founders building innovative and scalable solutions in the nation’s emerging commercial cities. We are supported by organizations that include (but not limited to) Google (through Google Developers), Facebook, The Ford Foundation, Sterling Bank, MainOne, Bank of Industry and others to reach thousands of founders annually through our conference, events and programming.
With over 60 Million People in 11 States, 13+ Cities and 120,000+Km2, we represent a market big enough to support a thriving Startup culture. And for us, Innovation and Entrepreneurs democratize opportunities, empower young people, engender a safe/saner society and Fastrack infrastructure development.
Our immediate community is 5000+ strong (and growing) – made up of passionate innovators, researchers, investors and professionals building and supporting the next big ventures out of South-South/South-East, Nigeria and beyond.
At #StartupSouth Community, we are looking for a skilled Communications Associate to join our team and lead all engagements as we deepen the community ties across the Hubs and Techies in the South-South and South-East of Nigeria.
The Communications Associate is a tech-savvy professional, experienced in social media, PR and promotional events, most importantly, has significant engagement around the South-South and South-East tech and business development ecosystem.
Our ideal candidate is someone with exceptional oral and written communication skills and is able to develop engaging content. Be a ‘people person’ with great customer service skills and the ability to moderate online and offline conversations with our community. Ultimately, should be able to act as the face and voice of our brand and manage all community communications.
- Set and implement social media and communication campaigns to align with the community development and engagement strategies.
- Provide engaging text, image and video content to drive engagement across S2C social media accounts.
- Respond to comments and community members queries in a timely and professional manner.
- Monitor and report on feedback and online reviews.
- Organize and participate in events to build community and boost brand awareness.
- Coordinate with management, community stakeholders, PR and Communications teams to ensure brand consistency.
- Liaise with all relevant community stakeholders to stay updated on new trends and activities. while leading community interactions and development around them.
- Build relationships with the community members, potential members, industry professionals and journalists.
- Stay up-to-date with digital technology and business trends.
- Proven work experience as a Community Associate
- Experience launching community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series and writing an email newsletter)
- Ability to identify and track relevant community metrics (e.g. repeat attendance at events)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Hands-on experience with social media management for brands
- Ability to interpret website traffic and online community engagement metrics
- Knowledge of online tools like Slack, Google Suites and products
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- BSc degree in any relevant field of learning
Benefits – Why we need you?
You are King – as a Volunteers and the lifeblood of the #StartupSouth Community. Your wealth of experience and drive for success is just the right energy we need to scale the #StartupSouth community.
StartupSouth has in the last 6-years led a number of initiatives in unlocking the 60 million people living and doing business across the South-South and South-East region of Nigeria; encouraging collaboration, inspiring partnership, & championing knowledge sharing.
As a volunteer, you are key to achieving these goals as we would unlock the region faster, enable new businesses and ecosystems to thrive while you establish yourself as a stakeholder in the engine room of growing the second-largest regional economy in Nigeria.
What you benefit?
- Opportunity to work at the intersection of innovation and business, gaining access to some of the Top CEOs and Angel Investors (South-South & South-East Angel Network) while travelling the length and breadth of the region.
- Grow and unlock new business opportunities for yourself via the network.
- Become a key stakeholder and major contributor to the development of Nigeria – especially the South-South/South-East by supporting the growth of high scale ventures.
- VIP access to all of our partner hubs around the region whenever you visit.
- Join a team of talented, super-dedicated, fun and highly motivated people You’ll get to work across a global network of innovative startup ecosystems.
- Shape your own work-day and choose where you like to work from – we fully encourage remote work. Be a happy and whole person with a flexible work environment so you can have time to carve out for your friends and family.
- Monthly stipend (YTD) and Travel allowance to enable you to perform some of your basic functions.
To apply, click here